Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Exercise is an important investment for me

Exercise helps with weight control, strengthens muscles, keeps bones strong, battles stress, enhances sleep and improve better moods.

I want to be careful because starting with a burst of enthusiasm to exercise and only to see that initial momentum evaporate within over time. When I start something new, I am filled with tremendous optimism and feeling ready. I have to remember that this surge of energy will inevitably end and I need to prepare for that moment.

So how do I stay motivated and stay on track with my goals?

I really believe that this all comes down to good planning, understanding realistic expectations, and a proper attitude. Part of staying motivated is being realistic about what I can achieve within the timeframe I have set up for myself.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and as I said earlier in my blog that I am going back to swimming. Swimming improves cardiovascular fitness. I am not sure if anyone knows that I have type 2 diabetes. Swimming is a great physical activity for people with diabetes. When swimming, muscle cells more efficiently absorb blood sugar which lowers blood sugar levels.

So another goal of mine is exercise regularly if I want to live longer because the glucose control benefits from exercise can last for hours and days. I have to keep swimming for the rest of my life in order to control my diabetes. Also, I want to lose about 20 to 25 lbs by getting to down the weight I was back in year 2000.

I have set up my swimming plan and diary. Now I am shopping for bathing suit and goggles. I have made an appointment to get ear plugs so I won't have wet ears after I swim since I wear hearing-aids.

Swimming is a healthy activity that can be continued for a lifetime. In the past, swimming have helped me develop my life skills such as sportsmanship, time-management, self-discipline, goal-setting, and an increased sense of self-worth. I want to get those back in my life. Oh yeah, BETTER SEX drive.

I have decided not to join the Masters Swim Team that is located at Ohio State University. My wife and I have decided to have a family package at the local YMCA here in Columbus. We can use any of the branches. For me, I will swim at the downtown YMCA before I go to work in the mornings. The family will use one of the two nearby branches. YMCA also have Masters Swimming and I can get the same benefits through them.

No comments: