Saturday, January 12, 2008

Today is my mother's birthday....


I am her oldest (of many kids) and she was there for me from day one. She helped me become independent dispite of my disabilities. Of who I am today, my mother gets most of the credit. When she found out that I am deaf, she (with her parents) got me hearing aids and found places for me to get my education. My father was hardly around so my mother did the bulk of the work to take care of me. By the way, the man with my mother is my step-father and he helped me more than my father helped me. My wife who have a older child who is disabled have GREAT respect for my mother. As a mother with a disabled child knows what other mothers goes through with their disabled child. Takes alot of love, care, and patience. My mother did mentioned that she could have done better and I responded, by saying "you have done more than most mothers could do for their child". She didn't treat me like I am disable. She treated me like she treated my brothers and sisters. I am another person who is also strong-willed that she had to deal with.

When I was diagnosed with MS in 2002, I live in Ohio and most of my family lives in New England (mostly in MA) and she was sad that she could not be there for me since she lives so far. Especially when I was going through marriage trouble with my first wife who was never there for me. That was my wake-up call about my life, my marriage and my future; with my mother's encouragement without judgement, she was with me whatever I decided to do. I divorced my first wife and my kids thought I waited to long because they could see that we had an unhappy marriage. Kids do really know, no matter how you try to save your marriage.

Now, I am happily married to a woman who is truly my best friend, my lover and a true wife. My mother loves my wife, Carole and she is happy that I am happy.

I would like to see her happy and not worry about her kids, especially me. She got a life too and I want her to enjoy it.

Happy Birthday Mom !!! (Not sure if she reads my blog or not)

When my wife gets home from work, we are going to call my mother and say "Happy Birthday".

2 comments:

Synchronicity said...

what a wonderful tribute to your mom! wish her a very happy birthday and many more.

whimsical brainpan said...

Lovely post!

Happy Birthday to your Mom!