Saturday, March 8, 2008

Overcoming

Over the years, people with disabilities have been regarded as individuals to be pitied, feared or ignored. Today, people with disabilities are focusing attention on tough issues that affect quality of life, such as accessible transportation, housing, affordable health care, employment opportunities and discrimination. People should be aware that that people with disabilities are ordinary people (just like them) with common goals for a home, a job and a family.

People with disabilities still are dealing with old legal barriers that prevents them from being independent. We are still identifying barriers to participation in our society. Many people with disabilities have the ability to overcome barriers in their own ways and making sure that they are having quality of life regardless of barriers. Proverbs speaks of the relationship between adversity and strength. "If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small (Pro. 24:10)." No matter how big the adversities, we can over-come and be able to what we want with our desires. Its our will that is strong. Its our desire that is strong. Its our determination that is strong.

3 comments:

marja said...

Thing is, I don't "faint in the day of adversity." My strength usually holds out through crisis. After it's all over I crumble.

Candice said...

If everyone would just treat others how they want to be treated. I don't expect special treatment, just treatment to be equal.

Lead out those who have eyes but are blind, who have ears but are deaf. Isaiah 43:8

Anonymous said...

I have fainted in the day of adversity and found my strength to be as you said, small. I felt small inside. I am learning that it is when I faint that a power greater than me can take over.