Saturday, February 2, 2008

What do you take for Depression?

I was posting my experiences with antidepression medication with fellow MS blogger and I thought I post and ask other MS bloggers about what depression medication they are taking. Antidepressant medications that affects chemical messengers within the brain. These chemical messengers are called neurotransmitters. Many experts believe that an imbalance in these neurotransmitters is the cause of depression. Fluoxetine is believed to work by inhibiting the release or affects the action of serotonin. The medications for antidepression are usually classified under "Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)" which are a class of antidepressants used in the treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, and some personality disorders. There are at least 7 SSRIs products out there and its good to get familiar with all of them. Also, for people with Multiple Sclerosis, there have been reports stating that Tricyclic antidepressants works for management of depression; thought to increase synaptic concentration of serotonin and/or norepinephrine in the CNS by inhibition of their uptake by the presynaptic neuronal membrane; useful in the management of neuropathic pain.

I hear success stories about antidepression medications from fellow MSers. In fact, I might post a question asking people with MS what kind of antidepression medication they are taking and which ones have been working for them. I noticed that there are different kinds of depressions and I think people with MS are in common when experiencing depression. I am doing a poll right and I already voted which one works for me.

I use Fluoxetine for my depression and this week, my doctor increased Fluoxetine (i.e. prozac) from 60mg to 80mg and I hope this will help my mood and bring back my sexual desire that my wife misses. Flueoxetine have been working for me since I started taking it in 2001, just before I was diagnosed with MS. I have never really experiences any nausea, headaches, anxiety, insomnia, drowsiness, and loss of appetite that they have labeled. I do wished it help me with my appetite because I do need to eat less. However, Fluoxetine helps me last longer sexually for there have been studies that they are effective and used in treating premature ejaculation problems for men.

You might be interested in reading this article that was published in October 16, 2007 called Fluoxetine Shows Promise in Multiple Sclerosis. According to the quote from the article: Studies have shown
"a trend toward a reduction in new enhancing lesions with fluoxetine treatment in patients with relapsing-remitting or relapsing secondary progressive MS."


10 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

I take Zoloft (sertraline) for my depression. Last summer, when my depression got out of control (likely due to the added meds for rheumatoid arthritis), my doc increased the dose to 250mg daily. The prescribing information lists 200mg as the maximum dose. If this didn't work, we were going to think about switching or adding a second antidepressant. But fortunately, it helped me swim to the surface again.

BTW, I guess I'll have to choose 'other' on the survey. Also I had no idea that Prozac could help with libido. Cool.

Dena Reiter said...

I know your blog is about MS, but I thought I'd chime in, even though I don't have MS. I take Citalopram for my depression/anxiety. I've been taking it for about 4 years now, and it's really helped me to stay level.

Synchronicity said...

i had not heard of the other drugs listed in your poll. so much to learn. thanks for doing this by the way.

i am very much leaning towards trying the prozac.

i like the idea of it because it is a "clean" drug as far as possible interactions with other drugs go. my son who has autism is on it and it has helped so much but he is a lot more hyper i can say that.

what about sleep? does it interfere with getting to sleep?

time for me to research. i have been trying the natural ways first. the sam-e has helped a lot. and i would like to try st. john's wort again.

we shall see.

Unknown said...

Merelyme,

I have not trouble sleeping except when I took Avonex. I tried St. John's Wort but discovered that this herb is for those who have mild depression. It didn't work for me which is why I am taking Fluoxetine.

Jim :)

Lisa Emrich said...

I too tried St. John's Wort and it did nothing for me. Also, I believe that it can interact negatively with some of the meds we might be taking (sorry I'd have to look that up...don't remember where I read that.) I never tried SAM-e so can't comment on that. I read that NIH was studying the effects of fish oil (omega 3-6-9) on MS depression. I take this to help with the arthritis.

I'm so glad that you two started this discussion. I'm curious to see what all the responses reveal.

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for sharing. I am glad that Merelyme and others are talking about this because this is important. We deserve to have quality life and dealing with depression is a VERY important issue for all individuals who are battling.

Experts and my doctors encouraged me to take fish oil (omega 3-6-9) and I will be taking this. This bascially will not affect any of my medications. This is something to look into.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim: I might have said it before but it bears saying again.

I LOVE MY PROZAC!!!!

I have taking Prozac since around 1995. I suffered from severe depression - deep dark blackness - and none of the supplements I had been taking were making a difference. 1995 was the year when most of the deaths in my immediate family had just passed and it was the first year that I had to myself and to return back to my own little family of four.

For many years up till 1995 I had been dealing with immediate family and all their woes and illnesses and finally deaths. Even though most of their deaths were imminent (and on some level, very much looked forward to), for some reason depression just landed into me.

Well, this is ending up being longer than I intended, but the upshot is that I do take Prozac. I started at 10mg and didn't increase to 20mg until 2004.

I also have an autistic son who is now 25, and he started on anti-depressants when he was 7. The change it made in him was so noticeable that I recommended it to every parent in my support group. When Prozac came on the market, it was suggested to me to switch him because he was on the maximum dosage of his med, so he was switched at age 14 to 10mg of Prozac. He is now on 20mg and he functions quite well on that dosage - enough to be able to hold a full time job. So I am very pleased with Prozac.

One final thought: I read you have been increased to 80mg Prozac a day. Do you take it all at one time or is it spaced out over the day? The reason I ask is because it is one of those drugs that builds up in the bloodstream so that upon continuous dosage, it is most effective. I have some background in medicine (I was a PA for 18 years) and I only prescribed those kind of dosages if taken in two or three doses over the course of the day.

Thank you for sharing your medical visits - it is very brave of you to share intimate information.

I look forward to your answer but will understand if you don't want to, for personal reasons.

I am off to visit MerelyMe.

Unknown said...

Hi Anne,

On of the discussion about 80mg dosage, I could take one in the morning and one at night. We didn't discuss that in detail but I think it is common sense to do this way. Good question, by the way. That would mean 40 mg in the morning and 40 mg in the evenings.

I need to share my medical background from a man's point of view since I am aware that most men do not visit their own family doctors. I was one of them and last month, there was an article in the paper which was picked up by most media nationwide. I am going to post this in the blog so if anyone is curious, they can read it. Its a great article.

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim: I got this via email from
byehorsey@yahoo.com
Sent: Sat 2/02/08 4:51 PM
To: Anne

Anne, grr I wasn't able to post my msg since I don't have any of the accounts that needed for me to post... I'm a darn NEWBIE!!! can you post this for me in Jim's blog... if not, no worries...


Hi Jim,

A very informative blog..

Would it be good if you took up Yoga as I know a girl that was at the DeafYoga Retreat with me who has MS as well.. She said it really helps her alot as well depression and anxiety.

Just a thought to share smile.. keep posting..

Susan

whimsical brainpan said...

I have taken many meds for depression. Right now I'm on Wellbutrin. I also take clonazepam for my anxiety.