Saturday, February 2, 2008

Deaf Culture and Hard of Hearing Individuals....






National Association of the Deaf have explained the difference between to cultures What Is The Difference Between a Deaf and a Hard of Hearing Person? because Deaf and hard of hearing are often labeled in terms of their hearing loss may reflect identification with the Deaf community. Whether the culture will accept hard of hearing individuals or whether hard of hearing accept the Deaf culture. This is about feelings, attitudes, perspectives, and personal lives of each individual deaf/hard of hearing persons.

While I want to get involved in "deaf/hard of hearing advocacy" like I am involved in Multiple Sclerosis relating to advocacy. Advocacy basically means "is the act of arguing on behalf of a particular issue".

However, I have had issues on how to do about this. Currently, I am considering becoming a member of Hearing Loss Association of America For awhile, I would not because I have mixed feelings about this because that I believe that National Association of the Deaf and Hearing Loss Association of America should be partnered simply because they do have one thing in common which is "hearing loss". I am not a member of National Association of the Deaf (NAD) however, I was involved with various deaf associations locally that had ties to NAD. I was in part of the Deaf culture but it was not easy however, many deaf individuals did accepted me as I am whether I am deaf or not. Medically, I am deaf however in terms of hearing loss, I can hear with the help of hearing-aids and by that, the deaf culture will view me that I am not really deaf. To be really deaf means you are unable to hear period, even with hearing-aids.

For years, I always have not so sure about Alexander Graham Bell Association of the Deaf and I think this organization is between the deaf culture and hard of hearing individuals. In terms of advocacy, they have various agendas that I need to carefully study before I make any determination regarding how I feel about this association. This week, they issued a letter PepsiCo and encouraged its members to contact Pepsico and object to its tomorrow night's Super Bowl commercial, complaining that it “perpetuates a common myth that all people who are deaf can only communicate using sign language. I understand the logic of this action but I disagree with this action. At least, we are "educating" the public about the deaf culture whether or not Alexander Graham Bell Association agree with this or not. Pepsico is educating the public about the Deaf culture and I am for it. Simply because, I am supoorting National Association of the Deaf's statement: (NAD)Salutes PepsiCo for its Super Bowl Ad in ASL I am not deaf but I do understand the Deaf culture and the need for to be known as a different group of hearing loss people.

According to research, of the millions of hearin-impaired individuals, there are over at least 400,000 who are totally deaf and are part of the Deaf culture. Hard of hearing is a group of invisible people that you wouldn’t even know are hard of hearing unless they personally made you aware that I am. The hard of hearing population is remarkably diverse because there are differences in communication preferences, the use of assistive devices (i.e. hearing-aids), knowledge of sign language (i.e. ASL), and many other factors that can make each hard of hearing individuals different. While the Deaf culture basically have one form of communication which is American Sign Language (ASL) and majority of them are in common relating to the Deaf Studies.

All I can say, from my position, all disabilities are very "diversed" and they all should have their own way of coping their disabilities while at the same time be accepted as part of the "disability world" in general.

People with more than one disabilities do have issues because they have multiple disabilities and they are feeling isolated at times. I have been feeling this in the past few years but not as bad since my disabilities are mild compare to others who have much worst disabilities.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Jim,

There is no "one" way to be deaf or hard of hearing. I enjoyed this post very much. I've never considered myself deaf but HARD OF HEARING because I spent all of my life in the hearing world around hearing persons. And many thought I just had an "accent" and were not always aware that I was hard of hearing.

There is no "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" here and I think that is why there is so much controversy between the deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing population. Your post says it all! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am a late deafen hard of hearing person. As Lauren says there is no one way to be deaf or hard of hearing. I am very active in the deaf ministry of my church and enjoy the company of my deaf friends. I use sign laguage as well as speech depending on who I am talking to. I consider myself a part of the Deaf Community in my area and am comfortable with that.
The only thing I don't consider myself is hearing impaired. Too negative for me.

whimsical brainpan said...

People do like to try and put things in neat little boxes don't they.

I know a few people with multiple disabilities. The way the are treated is disgusting. It seems the more you have the worse you are treated.

sandersonmom said...

I was very upset to learn that Pepsi chose to pull the commercial from the Super Bowl. I am a mother of two Hard of Hearing children and we all watched the preview of the commercial on YouTube. We thought it was hilarious and my children could not wait for it to be shown on t.v. There are not enough programs/commercials for the Hearing Impaired.
While we watched for it on Sunday and it never came, they were very upset. Now to a parent who tries so hard to keep outside influences from hurting my children's feelings, yes I know it's almost an impossible task, I am very disheartened that Pepsi would bow down to such a guilt ridden letter from an organization who are prejudiced about the deaf culture.
They are wanting to keep the "club" exclusive when they should stand up and be very proud of their culture.
The only way that people are going to recognize that they are NO DIFFERENT than anybody else, they just either can not hear, or just can not hear as well, is to be proud of who they are and what they have come to achieve.

Stacey LaBahn said...

Hi all,

Sandersmom - good news, the commercial did air, but during the pre-game show...so do not be disappointed! The world saw it!

I must chime in with everyone in saying Yay to not all deaf are the same. I understand the message AGBell was trying to make in that their support is for spoken language Deaf/HOH education, etc., but I have issues with their approach.

1) In a 30 or 60 second spot, how many deaf issues can you bring up, for goodness sake?

2) ASL needs visibility. That the hearing world had to read captions for ASL for a change was quite a moment of joy for me! (I grew up hearing FYI only deaf for a few years now)

3) I read a copy of the actual AGBell letter and they close their letter to Pepsi saying they should do right by the deaf by taking their Super Bowl Ad money and applying to buy hearing aid!! I found that quite unscrupulous. It truly turned me off their organization to be so myopic to the fact that not all deaf can use hearing aid, or want to!! And implying that their way is THE way to support THE DEAF, so Pepsi should buy a bunch of hearing aids rather than try and provide an "enabled" image of deafness to the world by showing ASL used among deaf friends!


I became deaf several years ago at 36. I am a total communiction believer...if it works, use it! I knew I never wanted to be unable to communicate, so I learned to sign (I'm more of a pigeon english signer than ASL, though I studied ASL), I have a CI that I use when I want, and I spend quite a bit of time in my silent world, which I like too. Everything is a tool; hands, CI's, Hearing aids, or even paper and pencil. The goal is understanding, communication and respect for what works for everyone involved.

I mean, as a person who could hear at one time, but cannot anymore, the idea of a room full of deaf people trying to speak vocally to one another just seems like a bad Saturday Night Live Skit, ya' know? "I'm sorry I didn't understand you. Could you say it again?"

Happy day, everyone.

S.

sandersonmom said...

Stacey, Thank you so much for you information. I am really relieved. I agree with your thoughts totally.
Thanks for being who you are and doing what you are doing.