Monday, January 28, 2008

Today.....our car got broken into

This morning, after I got out of the shower, my wife came in and told me that our van's window got smached and messed up our car. They didn't take anything because we don't keep anything valuable inside. I had to go to work so my wife took of everything by calling the police and insurance company. Glass repair service will come tomorrow and fix it up.

Why I had to go right to work this morning? Because I had to get ready for class tomorrow which I am teaching. I am not looking foward to do this. I don't like public speaking.

Also, I had to go to a store to get something and I was waiting in line with other people to pay when a woman in an electric wheelchair came by cutting us and went directly to the cashier. I got by her and tried to say something, she ignored me. This is ONE example of why the public gets disgusted by those who abused the laws. I stand in line like everyone else, waiting for my turn and she should too. People in line was swearing, complaining and I was dumbfounded.

When I see negative comments in Karen's blog about her situation, this is probably one example of why the public gets disgusted by certain group of people with disabilities. We need to educate our fellow people with disabilities about this situation because their actions and attitudes are NOT helping our causes.

How can one fellow with disabilities handle this when he or she something like that happen? What do you think?

3 comments:

Synchronicity said...

oh my...i am so sorry about your van first of all.

and i think some folk are rude despite disability. having a disability doesn't excuse rude behavior. only thing i can think of was perhaps the woman you saw also had a mental disability and didn't know better? i just don't know because i wasn't there.

i am still thinking about the steak and shake incident and...i get mad. that was pretty clear cut that she was being discriminated against.

as always you raise some very interesting points jim.

Karen Putz said...

Disability rights are about equalizing the playing field. Simply having a disability doesn't mean you can cut in line, it just means you can access the service in an equal fashion.

Sorry about what happened to your van!

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm so sorry about your van.

My guess is that this woman would probably act this way (maybe not by cutting in line but through other rude behavior) even if she wasn't disabled.