Thursday, January 31, 2008

Saw my doctor today..........

My wife and I went to our quarterly doctor visit for our diabetic and blood pressure check up. A week prior to our appointment, we go in and let them take our blood for the lab so our doctor can determine our health status. By the way, we do this "together" and we will support one another whenever we get sad information about our health. Oh... when we go in for "urine" sample, we go in together because we find this intimate and supportive. (TMI ? LOL).

Anyay, today's appointment, my doctor (who is a woman) picked me first which was unusual because my wife usually go first (she is with me). I found out why, my doctor was giving me "the look" about my sugar level. I hate that look and told her, don't give me "that look". She reply, is it working? I said "yeah". LOL ("the look" is her lecturing look" that most women gives). Remember Home Improvement's "The Look" (Season 5, Episode 7) which was about Tim getting a good deal on Pistons season tickets from Bud but doesn't consult with Jill before buying them for over $4,000. That gives him a "look" from Jill, the same Harry gets from his wife at the hardware store.

So, anyway, she increased Metformin from 500 mg to 1,000 mg a day for my diabetic problem and she also increased Lisinopril/HCTZ from 20/12 to 20/25 for hypertension. I am still taking the same Lovastatin level of 20mg for cholesterol as well as Aciphex 20mg for my acid reflux disease.

Now, when she started talking about my depression and asked how I was feeling. I told her I was feeling down lately and my wife spoke up and said "actually in the last 6 months he has been down". So, she increased my Fluoxetine (i.e. prozac) from 60mg to 80mg which is my highest level so far. She said she will share this with my MS doctor who monitors my Avonex medication which I take one shot each week. Depression is probably from combination from stress, MS medication and other complications.

And then it was my wife's turn and my doctor went through the same routine with her relating to her medications.

Oh, my doctor told me to visit my eye doctor since I have not gone to one for alittle over a year.

That's it for now. I am not into deep thoughts today so I will probably lurk around tonight.

:)

3 comments:

+PHc said...

You have no idea how much I envy your relationship with your wife.

I don't know how far back you have followed my blog, but I had this wonderful idealistic "vacation relationship" with this wonderful man who visited a couple weeks every year or two for ten years, and even though my problems inevitably came up - I got to feel the relief of feeling "normal" temporarily. - Of feeling like I could have the kind of connection with someone I could share life with in some alter-world. And I treasured that time together, but now suddenly the juxtaposition is excruciating. He is in a relationship with the kind of person who fits his life, and I don't think I'm ever going to have that feeling again. But I would love to have real ongoing companionship with someone who has the same problems I do. I believe I am lovable and that I could love someone well who faces the same challenges I do and has felt the same isolation and history. You are so blessed.

I'm glad you have a doctor who asks about depression as part of your physical health. And if the Prozac doesn't work (the side-effects did not work for me) there are a lot of alternatives to try.
I don't know anything about the other medications, but thank you for sharing the intimacies and complexities here. You give me hope.

I hope you feel better soon.

Synchronicity said...

hi jim...i am glad you posted about this. i am very curious about prozac. what are the side effects? and...can you tell me what it does to the libido? i would love the straight scoop.

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm so glad you and your wife have each other to lean on.