Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Beliefs

I have been asked about my specific Christian beliefs and I thought I take the time to explain. This will be long and bear with me. Thanks.

From my position, I am usually a Reformed follower which includes many of Martin Luther's writings, as well as John Calvin, John Knox and many others. I enjoy studying and reading many creeds, confessions and catechisms. Keep in mind, man-written creeds and similar documents are devices to keep heretics out rather than draw people in. The current division between the haves and have not in this area is a major hindrance to evangelism. I believe that each of us, as an individual, have a responsibility before God, to determine what is true about God and also what is false. What is true about God impacts every aspect of our lives. Reading different denominational documents have helped me understand my own beliefs and able to follow my convictions without hardship. The best creeds are directly from the Bible which you can find one example of the list here

Below are man-made creeds that are driven by man's doctrines often identify different denominations within the Christian world. Denominational doctrines make denominational members. The New Testament (Jesus Christ) make just Christians.
Nicene Creed
The Apostles' Creed
The Scots Confession
The Heidelberg Catechism
The Second Helvetic Confession
The Westminster Confession of Faith
The Westminster Catechisms
The Theological Declaration of Barmen
The Confession of 1967, and "A Brief Statement of Faith"
The Athanasian Creed
Augsburg Confession
Apology of the Augsburg Confession
Luther's Large Catechism
Luther's Catechism for Children
Articles of Smalkald
Form of Concord
The Baptist Confession of 1689 (original version with Scripture proofs)
The Baptist Confession (Spurgeon's edition)
The New Hampshire Baptist Confession
Spurgeon's Catechism
Baptist Faith and Message
Below are Christian leaders who made huge impact within the Christian world:
Jacobus Arminius, Dutch theologian, founder of school of thought known as Arminianism which you will find in many denominations including Methodism and non-reformed Baptists. John Wesley, Anglican priest, founder of the Methodist movement.

John Calvin, French theologian, Reformer and resident of Geneva, Switzerland, he founded the school of theology known as Calvinism. You will find them in Reformed Churches, Puritans, Pilgrims, Reform Baptists and Presbyterian.

Martin Luther, German religious reformer, theologian, founder of Lutheranism. Many Reformed believers also follow most of Luther's teachings.

Within the Anabapists community, Menno Simons, founder of Mennonitism and Jacob Amman, founder of the Amish. You can find churches in Brethren, Fellowship of Grace Brethren and other similar names.

There are many more I can list but I will stop here. I am sure people want to know more can study Church history at their local library or online. You can do research to find the details and history for each major denominations:
Churches in the (Roman) Catholic Tradition
Churches in the Eastern Orthodox Tradition
Churches in the Lutheran Tradition
Churches in the Reformed / Calvinist Tradition
Churches in the Anabaptist / Brethren Traditions
Churches in the Baptist Tradition
Churches in the Anglican Tradition
Churches in the Methodist / Wesleyan Tradition
Churches in the Pentecostal Tradition
Other Protestant traditions including Non-Denominational
Churches in the Quaker (Friends) Tradition
Anyway, I don't know whether the doctrines I follow are 100% true unless I allow the Holy Spirit to convict my heart to follow certain doctrines. I am almost 50 years old, I have learned so much about doctrines since I was a teen. To this day, I never met a Christian who agree with my beliefs 100% including my wife. I have not met a Christian who I agree with their beliefs 100%. Grace is about loving other people that we have the freedom to do so but at the same time, respect how they practice their beliefs. I followed various theologians from different Christian denominational backgrounds and I just go by my convictions that the Holy Spirit gives me. I am doing this based on my convictions as Lutherans believe with this quote "It should be remembered that acceptance of the Bible as the sole authority for teaching comes not from rational arguments or human traditions, but is a conviction produced by the Holy Spirit in the human heart. In other words, it is a matter of faith worked by the Holy Spirit through the Scriptures themselves" (see 1 Thess. 2:13). We have to remember that its not the scriptures that are corrupted. Its a man's heart that is corrupted. Intelligence, reason, and choice. Studying the scriptures requires the Holy Spirit which is inward, not outward. The Holy Spirit is within us believers, Christ dwells in our hearts, and "Christ in you, the hope of glory" (Colossians 1:27) is the burning core of the Christian faith.

Christians are divided on doctrinal issues (teaching issues). This have been going on since the New Testament days (Read First Corinthians 9:11-17). Doctrines (teachings) that impacted many Christian lives and they are using doctrines more than they are using Holy Spirit to guide their Christian walk. For those who are not sure about and/or new to Christianity, I strongly encourage you (as Apostle Paul said) to "Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? -- unless indeed you are disqualified." (2 Corinthians 13:5 NKJV). Most Christian denominations and movements share common beliefs in the major aspects of the Christian faith, while differing in many secondary doctrines. Christians believe what the Bible teaches in context which are the basics of what Christians believe and unite on. The biggest thing that denominations do is to give you an idea of where the church that you are looking at stands doctrinally. Denominations are important for aligning yourself with the church and the people that you most agree with. Some Christians like the emphasis on sacramental worship as occur in such denominations as the Catholic Church, the Lutheran Church, and the Episcopal Church; others prefer less formal ways of worshiping God, such as usually occur in Anabaptist, Methodist and Baptist churches. Like in life, in Christianity, one size doesn't fit all!

Now down to my personal beliefs and faith. What I am trying to say is that I not saying that a particular denomination's theology is truth but there is not one because the Bible is truth while doctrines are taught by man. I am a Christian first while secondary is the doctrines I rely on based on the Holy Spirit's conviction. Christians' conclusions are either ignorance or loyalty to a specific denomination, specific causes, teachings (doctrines) or persons. Judging based on appearance and doctrines are man-centered more than God-center. Doctrines sounds very good and simple however, Christian life is not so simple and this requires discipleship. "Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ." (Dietrich Bonhoeffer) Discipleship requires following Jesus on His terms.

In Matthew 28, the great commission that we are to be “making disciples”. For 3 years, Jesus taught His Disciples who became His Apostles after His death, then they in turn disciple others on the Day of Pentecost. This is how Church has grown over the years.

I will stop here. I know I have not explain about my personal beliefs clearly but its a start.

No comments: