Thursday, January 24, 2008

Boycott Message for A Deaf Mom Shares Her World

I refuse to eat at Steak and Shake until Karen Putz gets an apology from the CEO of the company himself,Alan B Gilman. Please join me in spreading the word & standing up for Karen and everyone else with a disability who wants a goddamn shake. You can make a feedback to them on their website Tell us about a recent experience at a specific store. Tell them about that you are unhappy with this situation. I send them a message this afternoon already.

You can read her experiences in her Blog

I left a comment on her blog with these encouraging words:
Wonderful. I hope this will educate the public and other resturaunts who have "drive-thru" services to learn from this.

This is one of example of "disabiliies movement history" that you have made. People with disabilties in the past have spoken up as you did.

I am proud of you and admire your courage.

Your fellow deaf blogger.

Jim
As I wrote about disability discrimination, I will repeat with this quote from this blog:
In the United States, we have wonderful laws that protects the disabilities however those laws have not changed "able" people's attitudes towards them. I believe the laws were mostly useful for raising the level of awareness and consciousness. However, the disability rights movements are still educating people about the structural and attitudinal barriers in the United States and similar industrialized countries that are the fundamental cause for the discrimination and oppression faced by disabled people.

No comments: