Thursday, January 3, 2008

A.W. Tozer




One of my favorite writers of all times. A. W. Tozer's conversion to Christ at seventeen. As a result he gained an insatiable hunger and thirst for the things of God and became a great pastor of his time. Tozer had not attended Bible college or seminary, Tozer received two honorary doctorates. Many of his books have impacted my thoughts and hearts which directed me to understand the Word of God better. His writings were very provoked and brought me to deep thoughts about my spiritual life.

A. W. Tozer (1897-1963) a pastor and author, well known in evangelical circles both for his long and fruitful editorship of the Alliance Witness as well as his pastorate of one of the largest Alliance churches in the Chicago area. Among the more than forty books that he authored, at least two are regarded as Christian classics: The Pursuit of God and The Knowledge of the Holy. His books impress on the reader the possibility and necessity for a deeper relationship with God. Even after becoming a well-known Christian author, Tozer signed away much of his royalties to those who were in need.

Christian History Institute 's on Tozer
Online Writings:
The Pursuit of God
Man - The Dwelling Place of God
Writings by A. W. Tozer (a long list)
Tozer Devotional
The average Christian is so cold and contented with his wretched condition that there is no vacuum of desire into which the blessed Spirit can rush in satisfying fullness. A.W. Tozer

There is a book he wrote called “Jesus, Author of our Faith” from where I extract an interesting excerpt as follow (from Page 99):
People have cornered me and pressured me, asking pointedly, Are you Calvinistic or Arminian in doctrine? I think I have effectively parried this thrust by repeating a conversation I once had with a prominent English clergyman of our times. He spoke to me of another minister of his acquaintance, and I asked, He is a Calvinist, I presume? My minister friend smiled with good humor. Well, he replied, I think he is what we might call an equivocating Calvinist! From a personal point of view and to answer the curious, I would say that the phrase also describes me fairly well!

Equivocating basically means to avoid committing oneself in what one says

No comments: