Sunday, August 2, 2009

Today is Friendship Day....especially those who are deaf or have MS

C.S. Lewis said of friendship: “It is when we are doing things together that friendship springs up – painting, sailing ships, praying, philosophizing, and fighting shoulder to shoulder. Friends look in the same direction.”

Practicing charity (love) is a toughie depending on someone's view because we might argue over things that we love which can cause damages to the friendship. If its hard to forgive, then it is hard to love another because love unconditionally forgives. Love hopes all things (1 Corinth 13). Love refuses to take human failure as final. Love never keeps a record of wrongs. Love forgives and love is unable to think about them anymore. Forget the past and move on.

After being diagnosed with MS, coping with disabilities including MS and hearing-impairment, I have lost my own self-confidence. I even remembered their comments about my own confidence why they no longer want to be my friends, those comments affected my thinking in the past 7 years. I was struggling with my newly diagnosed MS while dealing with major problems at work. I am very thankful for my co-workers. Most of them, I worked with for 20 years or longer. They are family to me and they were there for me. Many of them have retired and will be retiring. One of my close friends have just retired on Friday (July 31st). She will always be one of my close friends even though I won't see her as much. I won't be seeing her at work as I used to.

Earlier, during the time I was diagnosed with MS, I have lost some friends especially to those who I admire and respect. I have not seen many of them for years now. The best way to determine if a person is real friend is when you are alone. Looking back, I have learned that a real friend is someone who will help you through tough time and stand beside you through anything even if they dislike the choices you make but they will say they are happy for you and they are the one who will stick up for you will you need them.

"Friendship doubles your joys, and divides your sorrows." ~ author unknown

"The only way to have a friend is to be one." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Friendship is neither a formality nor a mode: it is rather a life." ~ David Grayson

Remember, you know who your friends and close relatives are by noticing that they are with you for life regardless what happens.

No comments: