Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bias relating to deafness....................

In the past, I have regretted helping certain organizations and when they asked that I help again the following year, I decided not to. My experiences with some have not been really pleasant nor I felt good after volunteer work. If I don't feel good afterward, I don't believe I should come back.

Right now, I am planning to volunteer some work for certain other non-profit organizations (I have not been involved in the past) later this fall and winter. I am having a meeting with one organization next month. I just want make sure that I give my time to an organization or organizations are worthwhile.

In the past, I have posted about my issue with bias. Bias is a term used to describe a tendency or preference towards a particular perspective and ideology. A bias could lead one to accept or deny the truth that is often very "one-sided" while ignoring the other.

When looking at organizations, I have deep thoughts about joining an unbais advocacy organization, especially if such good organizations are too focus on their own agenda. One example is organization for people with hearing loss (deafness), there are many organizations that are very biased to certain group of people with hearing loss. Very few are qualified as "unbiased" and I can list a few in my mind.

Ever since I started blogging, I have learned more about organizations and their agendas. Who knew this much before blogging? We had limited resources in the past. Now, with the age of internet technology, we can learn more about each organization and their activities through other people. The more I read about organizations and their backgrounds, the more I am seeing the powerful and influential organization with hidden agendas that are not easily recognized.

I would like to see an organization that support families without "broadcasting" their own personal belief system or predisposing their outcome through our own biases. I have been looking into my own motives in joining organizations and that I need to have a better understanding before joining. I need an organization that is very sound, clear, accurate, and unbiased information for everyone. Public diplomacy is the very definition of advocacy that is creating awareness of an organization's agendas.

An organization must meet the highest standards of credibility for the purpose of advocacy. The information being shared about a specific topic must be fair, unbiased, accurate, complete and honest.

Quotes:
Bias and prejudice are attitudes to be kept in hand, not attitudes to be avoided. Charles Curtis

The theory of cultural bias... is the idea that a culture is based on a particular form of organization. It can't be transplanted except to another variant of that organization. Mary Douglas

"We must have strong minds, ready to accept facts as they are." - Harry S Truman (1884-1972)

"You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same." - Unknown

"Men have become the tools of their tools."- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

"If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?" - Will Rogers (1879-1935)

No comments: