Monday, July 20, 2009

Thoughts about PROCRASTINATION and when not to speak

Procrastination: An “F” for Promptness and Effort

Jesus said "Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Many of us are behind in today's tasks because we are catching up with what we should have done yesterday. Some of us are hampered from doing our best today because we are worried about what might happen tomorrow. Procrastination is the word for it. Most of us are inclined to do what we like to do and postpone what we don't like. Today can easily slip by without our having brought to it our very best.

It is a part of the Christian life that we do with vigor the task set before us. Paul told the Colossians: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men...It is the Lord Christ you are serving" (Colossians 3:23-24). Someone has said, "Today was tomorrow yesterday." Indeed it was. And it is just as true too that today will be yesterday tomorrow. Yesterday is past; we cannot change that. Tomorrow is not yet here. We cannot yet live in that. Today is all we have as the day to live in.

In this world, we all need more affirmation and less confrontation that if you can’t say something nice, keep your mouth shut. Often, I see flaws and often keep my mouth shut because I have flaws of my own.

“There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven….a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak….” Ecclesiastes 3:1 & 7

Remember that God cares for the birds of the air, He cares for me. We need not worry. He'll help us get our bucks in a row. So, I have to learn to share the financial responsibilities of the family as couple by “talking”. Talk about these things, work together that the phrase “Two heads are better than one” rings true. The expenses we make are discussed in advance and our dollars are weighed against priorities. There is no mine and yours—it’s ours. Our financial situations are not always caused from bad choices - sometimes the unexpected happens. Learning to manage the family finances consists of more than how much money is in the account. Money management begins with a partnership. Sharing the decisions and sharing the responsibility and more so, learning to give.

Talking: When it comes to talking men are at a serious disadvantage. Experts tell us that women speak, on average, 20,000 words a day. Men might utter 20. We process information, calculate our response and carefully weigh the impact of our words. Men always put foot in their mouth so men, in general do not speak much. Speaking less is better than being in trouble whenever they say something wrong when they are thinking directly from the minds.

"This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases." Matthew 8:17

In terms of disability, how does one handle having limitations? Jesus has authority over all earthly diseases and illness, and does heal according to His will. The words, "there are many more people worse off than you, so just get a grip and move on," were not what I wanted to hear. I was focused on what I didn't have or couldn't do, not on who I am in Christ and what He wanted to do through me.

No one really likes any kind of limitation or disability, but God has a plan and purpose for it. I saw that I had not really noticed or paid attention to those with limitations until I became one of them. God showed me I would have to learn to be a good member of the "Disabilities Crowd" so I could help others see past their limitations and become what God meant for them to become and do, even with their limitations.

One day when all sickness and disease are no more in our heavenly home we will see the total healing of our Lord. But until then, as Joni Eareckson Tada shares, "my wheelchair has shown me the way HOME by heart." I, too, know that my heavenly HOME will be much better than here, but on the way there God has shown me His heart, so I can share it with you!

No comments: