Thursday, August 14, 2008

Disabilities, Life and being Content

Looking back. I was very healthy until I was diagnosed with MS a few years ago. Even though I was legally disabled (deaf since birth by nerve damage in the inner ear), I played sports, was on a swim team, hardly missed any work and I was able to everything that "normal" people could do except that I could not hear that well. So, I was unable to learn anything from my healthy body. Its just that I was able to do many things that an unhealthy person could not do (which I learned later). I have Relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS) (Diagnosed in April 2002). (deafness caused by nerve damage, MS caused by nerve scars.) I am healthy today and hardly get sick however my MS can affect my daily activities. For the longest time, I thought I have planned and executed my life all by myself but really never aware that my life have always been guided by God.

In my office, I have this cute cartoon. It is showing a cute person wearing the Armor of God and shooting arrows (devil's schemes). A quote under the cartoon states: "Look at it this way...... Without these trials, testing of your faith, working of patience, and fighting a good fight.......LIFE COULD BE BORING." (see 1 Peter 1:7) My mother gave me that when I was facing tough situations. We all must remember that without these temptations and circumstances, our self-discovery of spiritual maturity become aware and will we not mature spiritually. The trials that the Lord allows into our lives to strengthen us can also become temptations, which, rather than being a means to spiritual growth. The only things that come from God are good and perfect which includes all- inclusiveness of God's graciouness. Every act of giving on God's part and every gift He gives is sufficient, lacking nothing, beneficial, and complete.

2 comments:

Nancie said...

Amen! Every act of giving on God's part and every gift He gives is sufficient, lacking nothing, beneficial, and complete!

Even trials and difficulties are being used by God to glorify Himself in sustaining and delivering us, and in strengthening our faith as we experience His love, help and faithfulness. God is very real to me because of His presence and help in my difficult times. Without these trials I would not know God and appreciate Him as much as I do today. No wonder the Psalmist said, It is good for me to be afflicted that I might know thy statute.

Afflictions teaches us about ourselves and God. But it is only in looking to Jesus that these trials will be a blessing to us and to others, as well as glorify God. Oh, may God keep our eyes upon Him always, to seek Him humbly, love Him with all our heart, serve Him all the days of our life, and love His people with His love. As always, your sharing is very encouraging. May God keep you near to Him always and continue to make you a blessing to others!

Diane J Standiford said...

Captain Kirk from Star Trek (no, I am not into Star Trek, but a household member is) said same thing, "Humans need challenges or we would be bored." And indeed disabilities make us stronger humans and we can be teachers to those of good health. God choose me for MS, he knew I could handle it. He chose me to have cancer and I held my head up high and though I don't know WHY he kept me alive...I keep waiting and preparing for the reason and I will be ready.