Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dealing with Disabilities and Depression

I was reading one of my fellow bloggers and she made think about my past experiences as she is experiencing so I want to repeat what I wrote.

I am hard of hearing (completely deaf when not wearing hearing-aids) so I was able to hear almost "normal" and I am thankful for today's technologies. I am always self-conscience about revealing my hearing-aids so grew my hair long enough to cover them. They are behind the ears type. I don't want people to know I am hard of hearing that I am able to live normal as they can. There are times (at work), I have to let some people know that I am unable to hear and they need to speak up which I HATE doing this.

Last week, my wife encouraged me to get my hair SHORT and reveal my hearing aids. I resisted her recommendations for a long time. Finally, I gave in and tested it. So far most people don't even notice them. Now, I am not as self-concsience as I used to be. Only certain people knows about my MS and only selected people knows about my depression events.

Its not easy to talk about my depression which is why I am glad to join the men's group. All men mentioned their experiences with depression which made me felt good since I am not alone in that department. When I am dealing with my own depression, I am reminded of Christ's definition of Beatitudes (happiness listed in Matthew 5) contradicts flesh's definition of happiness. Its not about whether I am happy or sad but rather, its about whether I am spiritually happy by being faithful to God regardless my situation. We all to apply our faith through the Holy Spirit in our own life in order to live in this life. Since Adam and Eve, we all were born with one or more defects that are commonly known as S-I-N, as it is primarily symptomized by loss of moral judgment. I love this illustration that I got this a long time ago and I love it. This might help.

Recall Notice (This is like a parable to those who understand computers. I thought this is interesting)
The maker of all human beings is recalling all units manufactured, regardless of make or year, due to the serious defect in the primary and central component of the heart. This is due to a malfunction in the original prototype units code named Adam and Eve, resulting in the reproduction of the same defect in all subsequent units. This defect has been technically termed, 'Subsequential Internal Non Morality,' or more commonly known as S-I-N, as it is primarily symptomized by loss of moral judgment.

Some of the typical symptoms:
(a) Loss of direction (All of us are born spiritual ignorant, not stupid. Through Adam, we are born spiritually dead. The nineteenth-century Scottish commentator John Eadie described it as a case of "death walking". Spiritually dead people are like zombies--they don't know they're dead and they're still going through the motions of living.)
(b) Foul vocal emissions
(c) Amnesia of origin
(d) Lack of peace and joy
(e) Selfish, or violent, behavior
(f) Depression or confusion in the mental component
(g) Fearful
(h) Idolatry

The manufacturer, who is neither liable or at fault for this defect, providing factory authorized repair and service, free charge to correct this SIN defect. The number to call for the recall station in your area is: P-R-A-Y-E-R.

Once connected, please upload your burden of SIN by Pressing R-E-P-E-N-T-A-N-C-E.

Next, download J-E-S-U-S into your life.

No matter how big or small the SIN defect is, JESUS repair will replace it with:
(a) Love
(b) Joy
(c) Peace
(d) Longsuffering
(e) Gentleness
(f) Goodness
(g) Faith
(h) Meekness
(i) Temperance

Please see operating manual which is the Holy Bible, for further details on the use of these fixes.

WARNING: Continuing to operate the human unit without correction, voids the manufacturer's warranty, exposing owner to dangers and problems too numerous to list and will result in the human unit being permanently impounded.

For free emergency service, call on J-E-S-U-S.

DANGER: The human units not receiving this recall action will have to be scraped in the furnace. The SIN defect must not enter heaven or else heaven will be infected.

Authorized by: The Creator (God).
I want to repeat what I wrote about God's Grace in my previous posts. The Greek word for "dwells" is okv (oike), which means "I inhabit." "If Christ is in us, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness" (Romans 8:10). "My temorary body is decaying at the same time, my inner being is being renewed day by day" (2 Cor 4:16). It is God's will that we submit to the Holy Spirit and keep on filling (Ephesians 5:18). Like an athlete when training, we should always keep drinking water so that we won't be dehydrated and feeling weak. With that thought in mind, we should always keep filling the Holy Spirit so that we are able to act and react any given situations. "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9).

4 comments:

Synchronicity said...

hmm...much to think about here. i am not sure i understand all of what you are saying because i am not so religious...especially about the definition of sin. so i will just listen.

Unknown said...

Hi... That's pretty much all you can do. Listen, ponder and wait for the time when you will finally understand it. Took me awhile to undertand and I am sure this will take awhile too.

I don't expect anyone to understand or even accept (agree) what I say. As long as those who read respects what I believe, I will return the respect. All of my life, I always respected everyones' different beliefs.

Hugs, Jim

whimsical brainpan said...

Kudos to you wife for the haircut suggestion and to you for going through with it.

+PHc said...

Yes - kudos to your wife for that. And much respect for your beliefs. I don't think of myself as religious, and have a lot of obstacles between a lot of the languages of religion and Love and Peace and Forgiveness and Kindness and Compassion, but believe in them and strive for then - which I (and I think Merelyme and a lot of others who don't think of themselves as religious do.) One term that has no obstacles with me though is Holy Spirit. I lose it and find it again (it finds me) but I know that it is real when I feel it. Your analogy of replenishing a wearying body like an athlete is helpful although I don't seem to have choice about when it comes. I know that communion with people who believe in and strive for the qualities I mentioned above is replenishing though.

The only time the Holy Spirit comes to me without obstacles in the form and language of Christianity is when I visit New Orleans (where I lived until I turned eight.) Not just when I go back to my first church and religious (Episcopal) school, but the whole damn city. The Holy Spirit is palpable in the air there to me (so I understand other religions having sacred city pilgrimage traditions). The people and language and trees and the zoo... are just infused to me - before and especially after Katrina - with Love that supersedes loss and decay. The churches there feel holy in the way they are intended to feel thee to me and nowhere else very much. Maybe I feel more judged other places so I have more judgement. I don't know. But I feel homesick.

Thank you as always for your company.